Newsletter of the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs | Harvard University | Vol. 22 Num. 2 | Spring 2008
About This Issue
- Volume 22 Issue 2, Spring 2008
- The Spring 2008 issue of the Centerpiece features Professor Kimbery Theidon's work as executive director of Praxis Institute for Social Justice. Her piece focuses on
the corruption and human rights trial against Alberto Fujimori, which Praxis has followed carefully as an example of international criminal law. We also offer a transcript of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu's speech as the Warren and Anita Manshel lecturer in 2007, as well as more images of the Weatherhead's 50th anniversary celebration.
The Director's message provides information about some of the funding that make our research activities a reality.
- Download PDF (1.5MB)
- Bringing Justice Home: Alberto Fujimori on Trial for Corruption and Human Rights Violations in Peru
- By Kimberly S. Theidon
- On December 10, 2007, the Special Criminal Court of
the Peruvian Supreme Court asked former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori if he was guilty of the
murder and kidnapping charges he faced. His response
broke the methodic silence he had maintained until then,
and his defiant shouts surprised the observers who filled
the court chambers, a mix of members of the press, victims,
human rights professionals, international experts,
and family and friends of Fujimori: "I received this country…
in 1990 on the brink of collapse, overwhelmed by
hyperinflation, in international financial isolation and
with terrorism everywhere." With his voice occasionally
cracking, the accused continued for several minutes
until he was interrupted—with difficulty—by the court
president and asked to give a simple yes or no. Fujimori
concluded by exclaiming, "Because of my government,
the human rights of twenty-five million Peruvians were
rescued, without exception… I reject the charges! Completely!
I am innocent!"
- Read More
- Goodness Triumphs Ultimately
- By Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu
- The Warren and Anita Manshel Lecture in American Foreign Policy was given by Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu on November 15, 2007 in celebration of the Weatherhead Center's 50th anniversary.
- Read More