- When Things Fell Apart: State Failure in Late-Century Africa
- Buy: Buy the book
- by Bates, Robert H.
- In the later decades of the twentieth century, Africa plunged into
political chaos. States failed, governments became predators, and
citizens took up arms. In When Things Fell Apart, Robert H. Bates
advances an exploration of state failure in Africa. In so doing, he not
only plumbs the depths of the continent's late-century tragedy, but
also the logic of political order and the foundations of the state.
This book covers a wide range of territory by drawing on materials from
Rwanda, Sudan, Liberia, and Congo. A must-read for scholars and policy
makers concerned with political conflict and state failure.
- Publication Type: Book
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Published Date: April 2008
- Field of Interest: Comparative Politics
- Bates, Robert H. When Things Fell Apart: State Failure in Late-Century Africa. UK: Cambridge University Press, 2008 (forthcoming).