- What You Export Matters
- Download: PDF 290.3 KB
- by Rodrik, Dani; Hausmann, Ricardo; Hwang, Jason
- When local cost discovery generates knowledge spillovers, specialization
patterns become partly indeterminate and the mix of goods that a country produces
may have important implications for economic growth. We demonstrate this proposition
formally and adduce some empirical support for it. We construct an index of
the "income level of a country’s exports," document its properties, and show that it
predicts subsequent economic growth.
- Publication Type: Published Paper
- Published Date: March 2007
- Field of Interest: International Economics
- Rodrik, Dani, R. Hausmann, and J. Hwang. "What You Export Matters." Journal of Economic Growth 12, no. 1 (March 2007): 1-25.