- Does the SDR Have a Future?
- Download: WORD 49 KB
- by Cooper, Richard N.
- This article will briefly address the future prospects for the dollar as an internationally acceptable denomination for assets, and then discuss the several ways in which the SDR or some other internationally-agreed reserve asset might partially substitute for the US dollar in its international roles, and even eventually replace it. It concludes that there is no practical substitute for the dollar in the near future, meaning the next decade or two; and that while the SDR could be made a substitute for the dollar along several dimensions in the longer run, it would require a major concerted effort by the leading governments of the world to do so.
- Publication Type: WCFIA Working Paper
- Published Date: March 2010
- Field of Interest: International Economics
- Cooper, Richard N. "Does the SDR Have a Future", Working Paper 2010-0006, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, March 2010.