- The Case for Charges on Greenhouse Gas Emissions
- Download: WORD 105.5 KB
- by Cooper, Richard N.
- The proposal discussed in this paper is to levy a common charge on all emissions of greenhouse gases, worldwide. All countries would be covered in principle, but the proposal could be implemented with a much smaller number of countries, provided they covered most of the emissions. While all greenhouse gases should in principle be covered, this paper will address mainly carbon dioxide, quantitatively the most important greenhouse gas; extensions to other greenhouse gases could be made with little or (in the case of methane) much difficulty. The charge would be internationally adjusted from time to time, and each country would collect and keep the revenue it generated.
- Publication Type: WCFIA Working Paper
- Published Date: January 2009
- Field of Interest: Global Issues
- Cooper, Richard N. "The Case for Charges on Greenhouse Gas Emissions", Working Paper
2010-0008, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard
University, March 2010.