- Public Sentinel: News Media and Governance Reform
- Buy: Buy the Book
- by Norris, Pippa
- The purpose of this book is to inform governance advisors about the vital role of the news media for governance reform. This book approaches the issue of news media and governance with three broad questions that it attempts to answer on the basis of quantitative data and case studies. First, a normative approach asks: What ideal roles should media systems play to strengthen democratic governance and thus bolster human development? Second, an empirical approach considers independent evidence derived from cross-national comparisons and from selected case studies, asking: Under what conditions do media systems actually succeed or fail to fulfill these objectives? Third, a strategic approach asks: What policy interventions work most effectively to close the substantial gap that exists between the democratic promise and performance of the news media as an institution?
- Publication Type: Book
- Publisher: World Bank Publications
- Published Date: November 2009
- Field of Interest: Political Economy
- Norris, Pippa. Public Sentinel: News Media and Governance Reform. World Bank Publications, November 2009.