- Myth of the Social Volcano: Perceptions of Inequality and Distributive Injustice in Contemporary China
- Buy: Buy the Book
- by Whyte, Martin K.
- Is popular anger about rising inequality propelling China toward a "social volcano" of protest activity and instability that could challenge Chinese Communist Party rule? Many inside and outside of China have speculated, without evidence, that the answer is yes. In 2004, Harvard sociologist Martin King Whyte has undertaken the first systematic, nationwide survey of ordinary Chinese citizens to ask them directly how they feel about inequalities that have resulted since China's market opening in 1978. His findings are the subject of this book.
- Publication Type: Book
- Publisher: Stanford University Press
- Published Date: March 2010
- Field of Interest: International Relations
- Whyte, Martin King. Myth of the Social Volcano: Perceptions of Inequality and Distributive Injustice in Contemporary China. Stanford University Press, March 2010.