- The Imperial Peace in Colonial Africa and Africa's Underdevelopment
- Download: PDF 280.06 KB
- by Bates, Robert H.
- When praised at all, imperialism is most often commended for the peace it bestowed. By demobilizing armies, deposing marauding princes and subduing war-like states, European powers fashioned a half-century of political order. The question nonetheless arises: Should they be lauded for that? In this chapter, I view Africa’s history through the lens of comparative history and argue that the imperial peace may have retarded Africa’s development.
- Publication Type: Book Chapter
- Publisher: Cambridge University Press
- Published Date: December 2012
- Field of Interest: Comparative Politics
- Bates, Robert H. “The Imperial Peace in Colonial Africa and Africa's Underdevelopment.” Africa's Development in Historical Perspective. Cambridge University Press, forthcoming.